Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Alice Neel


If you want to watch an interesting documentary about an artist, you should watch "Alice Neel".
I found it very moving and inspiring. Moving and inspiring both as a mother and as an artist.

Here is a quote from her son Richard who had been abused and mistreated by her benefactor:
"She was a good mother, she was a very good friend to me and the fact that she was not able to give me the protection that I might have gotten somewhere else, that's a fact- but suppose I got the protection and didn't get something else? It's just one of those things we deal with. Every single one of us has to deal with what they're dealt and the people they are exposed to. She was a gift...it was a gift to have her as a mother, no question about it."

2 comments:

Janine said...

Julie, I watched this last nite, thanks to Netflix! I loved it! Thanks for the heads up!

femminismo said...

I want to watch it too. Love the new kitchen. I am green with envy!! Happy times for you with the grandson drawing on the chalkboard. Passing on the fun of art.